You are here

Apply for appointment to the Commission

How to I apply to become a commissioner? 

The Governor appoints members to the commission. Individuals interested in applying should fill out the online application for appointment. Have your résumé and any other materials you would like to be considered in your application ready to and attach. 

If you do apply to our commission, please send us a courtesy e-mail.

Download our brochure on how to serve on the commission [PDF].

Who can serve on the commission? 

The following are positions on the commission:

  • A member with expertise in the educational, training, and development needs of youth, particularly disadvantaged youth;
  • A member with experience in promoting the involvement of older adults in service and voluntarism;
  • A member representing community-based agencies or organizations in Washington;
  • The head of the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction or the head’s designated representative;
  • A member representing a local government entity;
  • A member representing the organized labor community;
  • A member representing the business community;
  • A member between the ages of 16 and 25 who is a participant or supervisor in a program;
  • A representative of a national service program described in 42 U.S.C. §12572(a), (b), or (c);
  • Four members of the general public;
  • A member from the volunteer sector;
  • A member representing an emergency management and response organization;
  • A member representing the State’s tribal community;
  • A member who is a military veteran or represents a veteran-serving organization;
  • The director of the Washington State Student Achievement Council or the director’s designee who has expertise in community service and/or volunteerism shall serve as an ex-officio nonvoting member;
  • The director of the Washington State Department of Commerce or the director’s designee who has expertise in community service or volunteerism shall serve as an ex-officio nonvoting member; and
  • A representative from the Washington State Office of the Corporation for National and Community Service shall serve as an ex-officio nonvoting member.

How often does the commission meet?

The commission has in-person meetings quarterly, typically December, March, May, and September. Commissioners also serve on committees, which meet virtually as needed.

Where does the commission meet?

In-person meetings are usually held in the SeaTac area, but can be held in other areas of the state where we have AmeriCorps programs operating to do a site visit and sometimes a service project.

If travel is required, will you be reimbursed?

Commissioners are reimbursed per diem and mileage for commission-related travel in accordance with the Office of Financial Management travel policies.