You are here

Funding Q&A

What is the purpose of AmeriCorps funding?

AmeriCorps grants are awarded to eligible organizations proposing to engage AmeriCorps members in evidence-based or evidence-informed interventions to strengthen communities. An AmeriCorps member is an individual who engages in community service through an approved national service position. Members may receive a living allowance and other benefits while serving. Upon successful completion of their service, members earn a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award from the National Service Trust to pay for higher education expenses or apply to qualified student loans.

How does my organization apply to host an AmeriCorps program?

Serve Washington (Serve WA) administers a Request for Grant Applications (RFGA) process to solicit applications from eligible organizations. To receive notice of grant opportunities, join the grant e-mail list. Notice of funding opportunities are sent in the fall of each year and occasionally in the spring.

Who makes the funding decisions?

There are two opportunities for applicants to be funded through AmeriCorps. Approximately one-third of AmeriCorps funds are granted by the Corporation for National and Community Service via competitive grants, and two-thirds of grant funding goes to Governor-appointed state service commissions, which award formula grants in their states. Both of these application processes originate with Serve WA. Regardless of the type of funding an applicant receives, the state commission is responsible for fiscal and programmatic monitoring.

If selected for funding, how long is the grant award?

AmeriCorps grants generally provide funding for a three-year grant period, assuming demonstrated success toward achieving program and fiscal compliance and the completion of an annual continuation request.

How many AmeriCorps members can I request?

The minimum number of members an eligible applicant can request will be outlined in the RFGA instructions only. Typically, Serve WA AmeriCorps programs are required to host an AmeriCorps team.

What if I only want to involve one or a few AmeriCorps members?

If you are interested in hosting one or a few AmeriCorps members, you may wish to contact an AmeriCorps program in your area or a statewide intermediary to determine if a partnership may be feasible. Refer to the AmeriCorps Program Directory for a listing of programs in your county.

What if I only want the help of a group of members for a short-term project?

You could contact the AmeriCorps program closest to your location to see if all or some of their members would be available for a short-term service project. Another resource might be the AmeriCorps NCCC (National Civilian Community Corps) program. NCCC projects must be team-based with adequate work to support a group of 10-15 members for a period of six weeks. Project sponsors need to provide members with food and safe housing during the project. For a more in-depth look at NCCC, visit the national site or contact

How much money will my organization get to operate an AmeriCorps Program?

The funding is based on how many Member Service Years (MSYs) requested regardless of the type of grant you apply under – either fixed amount grant or cost reimbursement grant. In Federal Fiscal Year 2019, the limit is $15,192 per MSY for both types of grants. For example, if you request 20 MSYs (full-time members), your maximum grant will equal $303,840 ($15,192 x 20 MSYs). Member support costs, including a minimum living allowance of $13,992 for full-time members, take up a majority of the federal funding available. Programs must provide a substantial cash and/or in-kind match to operate a successful program. Federal AmeriCorps grants are not intended to fully fund program operations.